Thursday 18 December 2014

Day 74 - The sober bridge

Firth of Forth road and rail bridges
So yesterday I was up with the larks and out the door before my eyes were awake. My husband drove to his work and I then carried on to my sons old flat which was needing emptied. Happy girl doing some family stuff even if he's over in sunny climes whilst I'm hot and dusty. Has given me a good chance to review the things he 'borrowed' for university and take a few things home. Well that will teach him won't it. I now have my favourite mug back, but not my favourite bed, well because I'm not that mean.

There is a big road bridge over the firth of Forth which I needed to cross in my journey. Now, there are two bridges actually one for road and one for rail. Each one I've used a million times. But what struck me in the sunrise strewn sky was the construction of the new road bridge beside the old one, its really coming on well. 

As I looked at it new and in process of being erected I wondered about the path I'm on today. This sober path. And, bear with me, remember it was really early so my brain was probably addled. So this new bridge crosses the river to Edinburgh in a similar place to the others. But, its slightly further up stream and in a slightly different position. Whilst I am very familiar with the other bridges, this bridge is new. It fulfills the same purpose getting me on my journey to the same destinations. I might only ever travel over this new bridge sober. 
New bridge in Forth of Firth being constructed to support future travel between the central belt and the north of  Scotland

Same destination, slightly different views. Still under construction. Is this bridge a potential mirror for my sobriety. 

Its taken a long time in the planning. Its foundations have taken a considerable amount of time. Its only now becoming really visible to the public. It still offers the same confidence and destination choices, but its newer, shinier and likely to stand the test of time a lot longer than the old bridge. More reliable maybe, better constructed and much more likely to last the distance.

Well that's what my sleep head was saying to me yesterday. Sober bridges indeed, what next eh!

I'm beginning to think that I think and work at sober harder than I did at drinking. Same topic (drinking), different perspective (sober), different thoughts (how to maintain abstinence and look after me).

I do waffle on, so thank you for getting this far! If you've something kind or helpful to add or just want to say hello. Please drop a line below. I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

12 comments:

  1. Let me just say: I. Hate. Bridges. Not the bridges themselves, they're quite remarkable, actually, but I hate driving over them. Interestingly, that issue has gotten much better since I've stopped drinking and my anxiety attacks have all but disappeared. I like your perspective of sober bridges. Great photos, as always :) Lori K xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you said that you might only ever travel over that bridge sober. Now I am going to think of something that I might only ever do while sober!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ace eh? Hope you find you sober only thing!

      Delete
  3. It's a great analogy Daisy :) There's a saying, and I suspect it's AA, that says we're either working on our recovery or working on a relapse so your considerable attention is focused on the right bridge ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sober focus, sober focus, sober focus. Be the sober bridge....:-) xx

      Delete
  4. and there's always some trepidation approaching a new bridge. will it hold? will it carry me? does it take me where I need to go? can I go round another way? I know I find huge reassurance in seeing other people ahead of me, making their crossing.

    in case you haven't seen them, here are a couple of wonderful posts about her bridge from BBB...

    before: http://byebyebeer.com/2014/03/06/cakewalk/

    and after: http://byebyebeer.com/2014/11/11/beat-the-bridge/

    cheering you on your way! Prim xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks prim for the cheers and the links! X

      Delete
  5. nice work Daisy!
    hugs from Lisa
    www.thecword-compassion.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely musings & metaphors. Did you take the sunrise photo? Love it! So sculptural against the blaze of the cusp between day & night. Building a great structure for the rest of our lives, YES XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan. Rest of our lives. Beautiful photos not mine sadly x

      Delete